Methodology and methods of research in organization
· Practical Classes
· Video presentations
· Lab Classes (SPSS practice)
Course unit type
· Masters’s Program, year 1, specialization in Human Resource Development
Con Content info
1. Concepts and approaches to organization theory
2. Communication within organization
3. Diagnosis of organizational problems
4. Qualitative and quantitative investigation
5. Writing reports and recommendations after research
6. Use of tests for studying organization
A. General competences
PB - 01. Intellectual and cognitive capacities
PB - 02. Acquisition and processing of information
· PB – 01. The student is able to diagnose a company’s human resource potential with the use of up-to-date theoretical approaches and special system of testing;
· PB – 02. Depending on result of the research in the domain of HR the student is able to write a report with recommendations and give advices (or make particular correction efforts) on how to improve production based on the correction of HR in organization.
B. Profession-oriented/ General scientific competences
· Know contemporary methodology and methods of research (including sociological) in organizations in the domain of HRD;
· Being able to use aforementioned techniques to situations in real business environment;
C. Profession-specific competences
· Being able to implement advanced research methods (qualitative and quantitative) while studying human resources in organization. Knowledge of organizational culture, the role of public relations within organization, principles of information circulation in organization and development of sociological research plan;
· Being able to conduct sociological observation, interviews, focus groups, testing, semantic differential, in-depth and narrative interviews, news tests of system mastering;
· Being able to analyze results of research using computer programs (SPSS etc.) and represent results in the form of presentation; being able to write reports and give recommendations to enhance the overall productivity of human resources in organization.
D. Scientific competences
Being able to apply methodology and methods in human resources research to business practices in various work settings.
A. Previously required courses
Calculus, Theory of Probability and Mathematical Statistics, General Sociology, Human Resource Management Fundamentals.
B. Required competences
Calculus: the methods of working with analytical functions.
Algebra: the calculation with letters, matrices and special products, solving of equations of the first, second degree, solving of simultaneous equations.
Theory of Probability and Statistics: theorem of probability calculation, expectation function and variance, the law of large numbers, regression analysis method, statistical criteria.
Calculation methods: branch-and-bound method, set of equations solving methods.
Educational tools info
· Practical Classes (Labs)
· Online operational platform (SPSS)
B. Obligatory educational tools
· Alan Bryman. Research Methods and Organizational Studies. Routledge. 2000.
C. Recommended educational tools
Educational tools will be introduced to students before the beginning of each semester.
Teaching methods info
· Practical Classes
· Lab Classes
This course is taught in English and Russian
Plenary lectures: 36h = 2h per week during 18 weeks during the first semester.
Practical Classes (obliged): 18h = 2h per two weeks during 18 weeks during the first semester.
Lab Classes: (obliged): 18h = 2h per 2 weeks during 18 weeks during the first semester.
• permanent (written tests during semester)
• oral examination
Total number of credits: 5 credits
Period of examination
OR: 3 credits - 1 oral exam
OR labs: 1 credit - permanent and several computing tests
OR practical classes: 1 credit - permanent and several written tests
Different approach: 1 oral exam, the mark you get for the exam gives you the corresponding number of credits: 5 credits for A, 4 credits for B and 3 credits for C.
1 written assessment for the OR. The mark obtained in this examination is the result of the OR and the OR labs.
Higher distance education:
1 written assessment for the OR. The number of credits obtained in this examination is the result of the OR written examination.
Teaching support info
Extra course OR: 2h per week during 18 weeks during the first semester.
Higher distance education: for this course, an extra syllabus is available, containing guidelines how to study the material in an optimal way.